Sexual Assault/Domestic Abuse Advocacy Program
The mission statement of the Family Resources Sexual Assault/Domestic Abuse Advocacy Program (SA/DAAP) is "The Sexual Assault Domestic Abuse Advocacy Program will empower individuals and families experiencing the effects of sexual assault or domestic abuse in ways that enhance safety and peace, and promote non-violence in our homes and in the community."
SA/DAAP and the domestic violence shelter provide comprehensive, free and confidential 24-hour services to individuals who are survivors of domestic violence, rape and sexual assault, and/or their family members/significant others in Muscatine County, Iowa. Services are provided at the SA/DAAP office, shelter, and in appropriate community locations and include:
- Crisis intervention counseling: services provided at SA/DAAP walk in program, the Shelter.
- Crisis intervention response (on call): services provided at all Muscatine County law enforcement offices, at Muscatine Unity Hospital, and to a victim's home as long as offender is in custody and is deemed safe and appropriate by law enforcement (who remain present) SA/DAAP Advocate.
- Legal advocacy: services provided at the County Attorneys Office for prosecutor-based services, order hour with Judge to request Civil Protective order (CPO) or to extend annually (daily at 8:15 am and 1:15pm), and then to Clerk of Court to assist client obtain Civil Protective Order. Accompany clients to Muscatine Legal Services or a private attorney for CPO's, Divorce, custody and other legal issues that may arise for SA/DAAP clients. In addition, Iowa Legal Aid Services attorney Cynthia Crossett, comes to SA/DAAP office or SA/DAAP Shelter the first Friday of every month to assist SA/DAAP clients with a multitude of legal matters.
- Medical advocacy: services provided at MuscatineUnityHospital and Clinics, and Muscatine Medical and SurgicalCenter.
- Crime victim compensation assistance: on out-calls at MuscatineCounty law enforcement agencies, hospitals, a victim's home, at SA/DAAP walk in program and at the SA/DAAP Shelter.
- Individual, group and family counseling: services provided at SA/DAAP walk in program, SA/DAAP Shelter, schools or other set up safe and confidential setting.
- Community education programs: services provided at schools, businesses, corporations, social, civic, church groups, and social services organizations.
- Professional in-service training: services provided at all Muscatine county law enforcement agencies, hospitals, all schools, social services agencies, Muscatine County Attorney;s Office and private attorney offices or meetings.
- Community schools prevention education: services provided at preschools, elementary, middle and high schools, and colleges in both Muscatine and Louisa County.
- Safe housing: at our Domestic Violence Shelter.
- Information and referral: to other community resources, at our walk-in program, Shelter, by phone (office or crisis line).
- Victim check- ins: for the Batters Education Program.
- Transportation: at walk in program, and Domestic Violence Shelter. SA/DAAP also receives free bus tickets by Muscatine's city bus system.
- 911 cell phone provision: at walk in program and Domestic Violence Shelter.
- Multi-lingual services: at walk in program, Domestic Violence Shelter, DiversityCenter and NewIowan Center.
- Basic Needs: the SA/DAAP Domestic Violence Shelter provides food, towels, bedding, and hygiene products to all residents while at Shelter. SA/DAAP also provides these needs to walk-in program clients.
- New Beginnings Funds: SA/DAAP'S annual fundraiser allows us to assist all SA/DAAP and Domestic Violence Shelter clients with rent, deposits, utilities, furniture, household goods, car repair and other needs.
- Food program: SA/DAAP has agreements with Muscatine Community Services, and various churches that have food banks for client referrals.
- Domestic Violence Survivors and Mom's off Meth Support Groups:at walk-in program and Domestic Violence Shelter.